Verizon Wireless, Free results, BRICs special: Telco 2.0 News Review
- Strategy: Verizon Wireless, No.1 in the world; AT&T reorg downgrades fixed; TMUS yours for $35/share
- BRICs: Telefonica takes out GVT, TI in trouble, Oi looks at TIM Brasil bid; AliBaba.com clones Amazon
- Europe: Free Mobile punches through 9m subs, all other French operators suffer
- Vendors: Qualcomm under EU inquiry; AT&T sues Cox; NXP in your iPhone; LG meets WebOS, with difficulty
- Regulation: Euregulators have a spectrum policy; Netflix pays both Comcast and TWC; “Recast Comcast”
- Emerging World: Microsoft in Namibia; Kenya’s finance-focused MVNO starts price war; $33 smartphone
- Apps: Goodbye, MSN Messenger; Hike, India’s secret girlfriend; $30m VC for IFTTT; working with gyro data
‘Digital Asia 2014’ Executive Brainstorm and Innovation Forum, run by STL Partners in collaboration with Telkom Indonesia, is designed to equip 250 specially-invited business leaders from across the region’s telecoms, enterprise and technology sectors with new, breakthrough ideas, methods and tools on how to grow significant new revenues in the next 12-18 months leveraging Mobile, Cloud and Big Data.
Verizon Wireless, No.1 in the world; European profits slide; AT&T reorg downgrades fixed; TMUS yours for $35/share
According to ABI Research, Verizon Wireless was the world’s most profitable mobile operator, in terms of gross profit, in Q1, ahead of China Mobile and AT&T, and the second most profitable operator on a gross profit per user basis, behind only China Mobile. They estimate that global mobile operator revenue will grow 2.9% this year, pushing it over a trillion dollars, but operators in Western Europe will suffer, with revenues down 5% and gross profitability falling for Vodafone, T-Mobile, Telefonica, and Orange, while it was expected to rise for North American operators, or at least for Verizon Wireless and AT&T. Selling half of VZW to invest in Europe looks like a better deal by the day, doesn’t it?
(Our in-depth coverage of Vodafone is available in the Telco 2.0 Transformation Index here)To share this article easily, please click: