Mobile World Congress 2012: seven good reasons to go
The Telco 2.0 team will be at the 2012 GSMA Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona in force - let us know if you’d like to meet. Here are the seven good reasons why we’ll be there:
1. Networking. Apart from our own brainstorms, MWC is one of the few places where we can meet most of our key clients as well as new innovators. This year we’ve partnered with European Leaders on a ‘Hot Topics’ evening networking event on Monday 27th February, where our latest analysis on M-Commerce and OTT-player impacts on Voice and Messaging will stimulate two panel discussions comprising senior execs from Foursquare, Groupon, Vimplecom, Telefonica, Skype, Visa, Telenor and others. There will be over 250 invitation-only guests for the event.
2. Keynote speeches. In the last two years, the keynote speeches have been made by Google and Microsoft (see How Google’s Chief Magician Stole the Show and Microsoft CEO fails to land all punches, but…). It is always fascinating to see which CEO pulls off the best performance and the biggest story, although Facebook looks like this year’s major new face (see below). We’ll also be interested to hear about the progress on NFC, what the US telcos say about LTE and all the other important ‘Three Letter Acronyms’. We’ll be analyzing and reporting back as usual.
3. Facing up to Facebook (and Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc.). Bret Taylor of Facebook may temporarily take the spotlight as a keynote live speaker, but we’re pretty sure that he’ll be eclipsed within minutes by Telco 2.0’s Chief Strategist, Chris Barraclough, who’ll be interviewed by our friends over at Mobile World Live TV in the post speech analysis. Chris was one of the authors of our extremely popular Strategy Report “Dealing with the ‘Disruptors’: Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft/Skype and Amazon”, and also the article “Facebook: really ‘worth’ $30 billion max - $100 billion is hype”. We’re also be talking privately to a number of our clients on this topic, so please let us know if you’d like to meet us on this too.
4. Taking the industry’s temperature. Something gives each Congress its own memorable identity. Three years ago, it was the arrival of the Chinese companies en masse. Two years ago, it was Google’s charm offensive, and last year it was a combination of App frenzy and Microsoft’s new Windows Mobile operating system. There’s also a palpable vibe of the health and ambitions of the industry from the number and quality of the attendees.
5. Spreading the Telco 2.0 Word. We are running several workshops for clients, and in particular, sharing our new analysis on the Telco 2.0 Customer Experience Flywheel for sustainable industry growth. Let us know if you’d like to join us.
6. That ‘Telco 2.0 Moment’. From being accidentally invited to and then ejected from the reception with the King of Spain, the delights of sharing accommodation with one’s colleagues, and various surreal after-conference experiences in the bars of Las Ramblas, there’s always something special about going away with Telco 2.0’s analysts. It’s certainly never ordinary…
7. Discounted tickets. We’re delighted that, via our partnership with the GSMA, we can offer discounted tickets to the Mobile World Congress 2012 in Barcelona. In today’s ‘austerity’ climate, travel and conference budgets are increasingly under pressure, so to get a 15% Telco 2.0 discount on event passes, use code CPDSTL22 at the MWC site here
For more on any of this, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 207 247 5003.